Landlords tap here

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions we receive from Tenants.

Q: Why do I need to be referenced?

A: Referencing gives the Landlord a clearer picture of you and it's there to help them make an informed decision on who to accept.

Q: What does referencing involve?

A: This is nothing to be worried about – it is normal practice for a good agent. It generally involves checking information you provide with your employer, previous/current landlords and credit referencing agency.

Q: Why do I need a guarantor?

A: Sometimes referencing decisions ask for a guarantor as your earnings may not be considered quite enough to pay the rent or you may not achieve the appropriate rating set by the referencing agency. Do not worry, this is not uncommon – your agent will be able to explain the details.

Q: What does a guarantor need to do?

A: A guarantor normally needs to be referenced in the same way as the applicant. They would normally be required to be employed and resident in the UK with sufficient earnings to cover your rental commitment. The Guarantor is responsible for paying any rent arrears if the tenant does not pay and any damages costing more than the deposit.

Due to the level of financial commitment required, we normally find guarantors are family members rather than friends.

Q: Why does my guarantor have to guarantee all tenants?

A: This is because the tenancy agreement makes all sharers in a tenancy jointly responsible for all rents and liabilities – which means there is no individual 'share' of the rent. The guarantor has the same responsibility.

Q: Why do I need to pay a deposit?

A: The Landlord is trusting you to keep their property in good order. The deposit is held against non payment of rent and to ensure that any damages over and above fair wear and tear can be corrected at the end of the tenancy.

Q: Who will hold my deposit?

A: Landlords renting in Scotland in receipt of a tenancy deposit are obligated to transfer the deposit to a licensed operator, we use Safe Deposits Scotland, who hold hold the deposit until the end of the tenancy. At the end of the tenancy you will need to agree with the Landlord or Letting Agent how the deposit should be allocated and advise the scheme holding the deposit. The scheme will then repay the deposit in accordance with the agreement, unless there is a dispute between the parties over the deposit allocation.

Q: What if I want to leave?

A: You can leave the property anytime you like by giving 28 days notice.

Q: What happens if I lose my job?

A: It is always your responsibility to ensure your rent is paid, however you can talk to your Agent/Landlord to discuss possible payment plans – don't let the arrears pile up.

Q: Can my Landlord let himself into the property while I am living there?

A: Your Landlord cannot enter the property without giving you notice (unless it is an emergency).

Q: What is a tenancy agreement?

A: A legal documents which sets out the rules with which the tenant and landlord agree to comply.

Q: What Else Do I Pay For?

A: Utility bills, such as gas, electricity water and telephone, TV licence etc and Council Tax

Q: Who can I go to if my Landlord is not keeping to his side of the agreement?

A: Initially talk to your agent – FIFE PROPERTIES can give some advice to tenants as we have a duty of care but we would also suggest independent advice such as The Citizens Advice Bureau.

Q: Who is responsible for repairs?

A: In most cases the Landlord is responsible for repairs either themselves or via their agent. If you do damage to the property, you would normally be expected to cover the cost of putting this right.